Sunday, February 23, 2014

One united differentiated classroom.

With all the things that we have been learning,
it may become hard to visualize how the classroom will run properly.

All this differentiation.
Different levels. groups. readings. assignments. assessments.

A lot of individualized planning for individual students or groups,
while trying to incorporate it all into one classroom can be hard.

However, I found a quote that I just adore and helps put it into perspective.


Yes, there is going to be a lot of different things going on.
However, students are going to be understanding the same standards and
reaching goals that are similar just varied to different levels.

Yet, most importantly; this is still ONE classroom!

All these different students form a community bond.
It should never begin to feel separated because of differentiated instruction.

The goal of differentiation is to help all students succeed,
which in turn should strengthen the classroom bond.

You should be able to walk into a classroom that's differentiated and have no idea.
You don't see separations between students because of the differentiation.
You see a united class, because all the students are understanding the content.

I feel that this is so important to remember.
Don't let differentiation break your classroom into sections,
because the real purpose is to bring it all together perfectly.

- Mallory


2 comments:

  1. That is a great quote... so important! I'm so glad you're sharing these connections you're making and finding! 5 pts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thoughts and comments that you have shared. I know that I for one feel very overwhelmed when I think about all of the responsibilities that we have as teachers. Differentiation seems like another huge ball to juggle. It all just seems impossible to do. Who has enough time to do it all?
    The quote you shared is perfect. It struck me and made me think that if I can create such a community in my classroom, differentiation won't be as difficult to do. It will still be a lot of work, and overwhelming at times, but it will ease the burden a bit.
    We want our students to be successful in life, and a great tool to be successful for that is a support team. We can help our students become each others support team. This sense of community will also help our students become strong helpful citizens in society. I love the saying that comments that our children are our future.

    ReplyDelete