Friday, February 21, 2014

Fair isn't what you think.

In class, a quote was mentioned that I have been thinking about a lot.
I don't remember the exact wording; however, it was something along the lines of
"Fair doesn't mean everyone gets the same thing."

As we have been reading about curriculum/instruction and learning about tiering,
it has become more evident to me that this quote is so true and something I have been thinking about a lot.

We have discussed student's needs prior in the semester,
and we talked about how these needs should form our instruction.

No two children have the same needs;
therefore, it's just reiterating once again that their learning won't be the same either.

I guess the whole "fair isn't equal" is a hard concept that I am finally feeling more comfortable with.

With my siblings, for example, I give them the same amount of gifts on Christmas.
Give them the same amount of cookies when I make them. Yada yada.
Now it is all seeming kind of silly that I have done this for so long.
My brother is fourteen. My sister is three.
They don't need the same things. 
My sister wouldn't even know the difference.
Even if she would, though, it doesn't matter. 
Fair wouldn't be even in this situation.

I think the realization of this has helped me with the concept in the classroom.
Obviously, it is my instinct to provide whatever help necessary for someone to succeed.
However, no matter how much more I help, I won't think it's fair.
Part of me will have always felt guilty in a way for not giving the same time/resources to others.
Yet, I can finally say that it is clicking.

As long as I am helping EVERY child to reach their own level of success, then that is fair.
I don't have to give the same amount of time, same resources, same guidance to every student
in order for it to be fair, though. Because every child will require something different.

The "fair" part is that I am doing all I can to help every child succeed.
The outcome is what matters.
If every child succeeds, then it doesn't matter how much more or little effort it took for some students.

Hopefully that makes sense.
It is such an A-HA! moment for me today.
Yet it not always easy to articulate thoughts;
therefore, I hope it didn't seem rambling.

Just remember, fair isn't giving equally to all.
It's doing what you have to do with each individual student to ensure success.

The graphic below was perfect, or so I thought.



- Mallory

1 comment: